Tuesday, October 26, 2010

1200 runs

Well I have had a fraught couple of days, could not get the 1298 engine fitted to the 1200 to start, I eventually replaced everything on the ignition side, but still no joy, there are no timing marks on the crankshaft pulley so I set it up the old fashioned way with the rocker cover off and looked down the plug hole to see when the piston was coming up and the valves were closing on number one cylinder.

Still it wouldn't run just the flicker of life and then died, if I didn't know better I would have guessed at ballast resistor failure by the symptoms, but as it hasn't got one that was ruled out.

After much hair pulling (and I can't spare the hair!) I decided to strip down the Stromberg carb, low and behold it was full of rubbish and the needle valve was stuck, restricting any flow of petrol, a quick clean out and tugging the needle valve about and when refitted the motor burst into life.
I feel that I am not as sharp these days with my diagnosing skills but I suppose that happens, especially as I've been away from the business of fixing cars since the early 1980's but I got there in the end!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home